BRIGHT SPRING (Basil Brock) defeats ADMIRAL STAR (H. Hollis) in the feature event, race 4, the 'Dalvui Handicap' at the opening meeting at Dalvui Raceway on February 5th, 1949.
The crowd at the opening meeting at Dalvui Raceway, February 5th, 1949.
1998 - Aerial photo of Dalvui Raceway.
Harness racing began in Terang on New Years Day 1895 when the holiday meeting at the local racing club featured a new event for trotters over two miles. Over the course of the ensuing 17 years races were held sporadically at the Terang racecourse and at racecourses in neighboring townships.
On Saturday, March 2nd 1912, the Terang Trotting Club was formed at a meeting of 40 local enthusiasts met at O’Hagen’s Hotel, Terang. A twelve man committee was established and the first meeting of five events was held at the Terang Racecourse on Thursday afternoon, March 28th 1912.
Over the following decades the TTC grew in membership and held many successful, regular meetings. The TTC was the first club in Victoia to race after the end of the second world war, and was also the first to establish its own racing headquarters.
After a dispute with the Terang Racing Club in 1948, the TTC resolved to establish their own track on Dalvui Lane. Within six weeks of the survey and subsequent purchase of the site, a half mile track, 40 feet wide, with straights of half a furlong, was constructed in time for the inaugural meeting on Saturday, February 5th 1949. Admission prices for the first meeting were 10/- for men (~$1) and 3/9 for women (~ $0.38), and attracted 1014 spectators.
In 1954 the track surface was upgraded to sand from the original cinders. The Trotting Control Board assisted the TTC in funding for track lights and working bees of members and local enthusiasts erected all the poles. The TTC was the first exclusively owned harness racing course to install a modern side lighting system. The first night meeting was held at Terang on New Years Night 1955 and attracted approximately 8000 spectators.
In 1977 the track lighting system was upgraded to provide greater visibility for spectators and television cameras. At the time Dalvui Raceway had the finest lighting system on the country circuit.
The TTC became the THRC in 1982 to better reflect the changing nature of the sport and in the same year the Dalvui Patrons Stand and the horse stalls were completed.
In 1988 the THRC was incorporated and the new Gammalite winning post was unveiled.
The new administrative building, containing the secretary’s office, drivers rooms, stewards room, TAB, and dining facilities was opened on Life Members night Tuesday, February 7th 1995.
In 2003 the track was redeveloped once again and was extended from 800m to 1000m in length. Statistics on the current track can be found on the About page.
Train services run three times daily between Melbourne and Warrnambool in each direction on weekdays and Saturdays. On Sunday’s a coach service operates between Geelong and Warrnambool in both directions in place of the afternoon service. Train timetables can be found on the VLine website. Dalvui Raceway is 4km from the Terang Railway Station.
Taxis are available from the Terang Railway Station. Taxis can be booked by calling 131 008.
Dalvui Raceway has ample parking for patrons on the northern side of the course. Members have access to a separate car park and are able to park trackside should they wish.
TAB facilities are available in the betting shed and the dining room.
Bookmakers attend most meetings and are situated in the betting shed.
Meals are available in the dining room, overlooking the track. Bookings are advised for large groups.
Take away food is also available from the store below the dining room or from caterers on course.
Bars are located in the dining room and in the Silks Room, next to the betting shed.
The best way to get a photo is to come and experience the excitement of harness racing and take the photo yourself! However, sometimes you can get carried away in the moment and forget to do so. Race photos are taken by, and can be purchased from:
WestVic Race Pix
Phone: (03) 5382 6116
Email: rutphoto@bigpond.com
Race results are posted on the Australian Harness Racing website shortly after the completion of each race.
All TAB attended meetings are telecast on Sky Channel and broadcast on Radio Sport National 927AM.
A number of hotels and motels are located nearby in the Terang township.
The dining room is available for hire for private functions on non racing dates. Catering can be organized through the THRC. Please contact THRC to enquire about rates and availability.
Admission costs for all meetings are:
Adults: $10
Concession: $5
Children U18: Free
Cash only at the gate. Reduced rates apply for THRC members and Harness Card holders.
Racebooks are available for purchase from the gate and the secretary’s office at race meetings. Racebooks cost $3.
Advertising space exists on the THRC website, trackside and along the Princes Highway at Dalvui Raceway, and in the racebook prepared for meetings. Please contact THRC for rates and availability.
Membership of the THRC is available to all members of the community – owners, trainers, drivers, and guests. Please contact THRC if you wish to become a member.